Monday, June 12, 2023

On Gratitude and Grace

 


When everything I loved was gone,
and bitter words hurled at me in the taking,
I was left with the blue sky,
with the green shawl of the forest
draped across my shattered soul: with soft moss,
thick trunks, each old tree's beating heart.

When there was nothing left to gather,
there was grace: no possessions,
I was forced to
dig down deep to find something
to offer others, and discovered
I had love
to give away.

When there is nothing left to say,
at the end of all the losing 
- all the gathering, all the grace -
looking back at all that
I have loved so well, the glorious
years that fortified my soul,
there is only this: I have loved this world
completely, with my full
and ever-faithful
blue-sky heart, which beats
one note unstintingly,
with my spirit's call
to all the gods and angels:

 I'm so grateful
for it all.


For Paul Dear's wonderful challenge at Desperate Poets: where we are pondering wrestling with angels, grace and gratitude. And grit!

18 comments:

  1. I would love to listen as women strong and powerful as you ... read this poem aloud. Sitting in a circle, around a fire, under a full moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have indeed love to give and I feel the power of it and your beloved forest all the way over here in urban Australia. Thank you for this poem and for letting me know me about Desperate Poets. You gave an old girl inspiration to dare to write again. Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bow in gratitude for your words of gratitude. Blessed be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we have nothing, we still have love to give away... what a beautiful sentiment... you always inspire, Sherry. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only from the heart broken open by the wrestling of deep loss can such love pour. Thank you for blessing the prompt, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sentiment at the end, it is not so cheerful to hear of one's struggles but it is such a blessing and and an honour to be able to read/ hear about the overcome and the grace and self-love and care that this one has ended with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you go right to the heart of Paul's sentiments about surviving the wrestling angel. It's like Jack Gilbert says, love lasts by not lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your 'blue sky heart.' Interesting is that when I had a CB radio in my car in the 'old days' my moniker was Blue Sky. LOL. You definitely have shown that you have loved the world. If only others would follow YOUR example!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing more moving or true can be said than this Sherry. All the grief and struggle has marked us, but has also made us able to sing louder and clearer, and taught us how to make the distinction between what is really real and what is only the broken shadow of a shabby game. A beautiful poem only you could write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just the fact that when you had nothing you looked for something not for yourself but to give--that says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an amazing person and poet. You are passionate about life and the world. You are a giver. Bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG sherry! that shawl is were i too find comfort. Bless that blue sky heart of yours, and i love your gratitude! that is everything. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sometimes occurs to me that no one I know lives life more in line with what angels probably want from us than you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Shay, this comment from you has totally made my day (which has been a hard one, due to loved ones who are suffering.)Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "the green shawl of the forest
    draped across my shattered soul" - that is SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.