Saturday, February 18, 2023

Reluctant Hero

 


She was a reluctant hero,
emerging from the fog
of trauma into the light
of the new day
she would create
herself.

It is peculiar, looking back,
to see that, in times when
she had felt most alone,
connections were being made,
just the right turns were taken,
as if she had been
helped and guided
all the way along.

Like a river, life made its own way,
sometimes meandering
between the banks,
sometimes flooding over
to forge a new
and unexpected path.

She had never wanted to
have to be that strong,
yet, in the end, was grateful
that she was.
They say wild hearts can't be broken,
but I disagree. They break.
They just grow stronger
in the wounded places.


A rather predictable and uninspired response to Shay's word list. But I tried. Smiles.


8 comments:

  1. I appreciate it, Sherry! I am always glad to see you at the List or any place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flawless incorporation of the words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo couldn't leave her comment for you here and so she left it at the List. I wanted to make sure you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like those last four lines. Good job on the list, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wild hearts can be broken and I think they take time to heal. True

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the last four lines, as someone mentioned above as well. Really thought-provoking and powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uninspired?! The ending is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hoping my previous comment didn't publish because of the late response and needs to be approved ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.