Tuesday, June 21, 2022

SITTING IN A HOT TUB WITH MY DAUGHTER

 


Sitting in a hot tub with my daughter
on Chestermans Beach on New Year's Eve,
tall cedars swaying in the wind, the waves
rolling endlessly in - this was happiness,
a moment in time, in our busy lives,
on this beach we both loved so well.

Later, I sat by myself on a log, by 
a small crackling fire, watching
seabirds, the light playing on the water
in refracted rays of silver, clouds
like shapeshifters, the long quiet day
winding down.

Maybe it's not going to happen, my return
to this place I love, I thought, and I have to
be all right with that. 

She drove me home to the farm, dropped me off.
I unpacked, settling back into my nest. Then
the phone rang, and it was a landlord,
offering me an apartment in Tofino,
as rare an occasion as winning the lottery,
and even better.

I had to let go of the dream, for it to be
offered this third and final time. And
there was never any question that, were
it to happen, my answer would be
anything but Yes!!!



4 comments:

  1. You were given your dream to live in the place of your heart. A rare and beautiful gift. Enjoy each day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somethings are just meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the different scenes in this poem. You and daughter in hot tub. You sitting on a log. Very vivid. And then yes -- the fulfillment and an offer of an apartment in Tofino. Sometimes dreams DO come true!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.