Friday, July 26, 2019

My Heart is a Fiddlehead Fern




My heart is a wild fiddlehead fern,
unraveling its stem slowly as I raise my face 
to the sun.

My veins are sap rising,
sending nourishment to my leafy arms
waving at the sky.

My feet are planted deeply
in Mother Earth,
loving the warm dark underworld,
so rich with life and nourishment,
so sustaining,
that encourages my unfolding.

My heart is a wild fiddlehead fern,
that needs an intact forest
to survive.


We think that we are apart from nature, when in truth, we are just another of nature's creatures, neither less nor more important. We are systems, intricately designed, by a Master Engineer, to give us - each human, each worm, each fiddlehead fern - exactly what we need to survive, as long as we understand our interconnection with all things. And even when we don't,  Mother Earth is so generous to her creatures.

One from 2014, this summer's day. Sharing with  the Poetry Pantry at Poets United, where you will find fine reading every Sunday morning. Do join us!   



18 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Sherry. Yes, we do need that intact forest, all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem, Sherry. We definitely are all interconnected, and humans share a lot of similarities with earth's other creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you might suspect, my dear Sherry, this one made me squeal a delighted, "Yes!" Not just because our offerings to this pantry are so similar (in motif and feels), but also because the truth of your poetry and note makes me happy.

    Everyone is everything--animal, plant, and the rest--and when we forget that, everyone becomes less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is that interdependence that is threatened by species extinction....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think perhaps I might have once believed I was apart from nature, when I was much younger and lived in cities, but these days I prefer to be part of nature than part of the human race. As I read your poem, I felt myself unfurling with you and the fiddlehead fern, Sherry, soaking up the beauty of the words and feeling my sap rise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a superb poem - beautifully constructed and touching

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed at how blind governments are in maintaining healthy rivers and forests and letting mining and other activities seriously affect the future of many countries all for short term profit. Humanity seems totally blind about maintaining our future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeously written, Sherry!💞 I love "My veins are sap rising, sending nourishment to my leafy arms waving at the sky."😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! This inspired at least one stretch and several deep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whatever the shape of our thoughts we want the peace and the stability. Luv your fiddle head fern self. Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is something magical about ferns. So ancient and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A stunning poem Sherry! The title drew me in instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. "Loving the warm, dark underworl" speaks of things we don't see working in our favour. We are all creatures, yes! I believe the day of our arrogance in thinking otherwise is dwindling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful poem Sherry. I too am part of nature, as you well know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the graphic you selected here … such awesome synergy with the poem - and works so well with that wonderful close, as if the content is held in your heart. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this poem. It is so you. That last line speaks right to me. I grew up tucked into trees.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautifully said, Sherry.
    each living thing, plant or animal, has a purpose to exist on this Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A wonderful poem, Sherry. :) You said it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.