Saturday, December 15, 2018

Old Maid



In the sunporch at the back of Grandma's cottage, we spent many happy hours: listening to thunderstorms, chatting, playing Old Maid. Grandma would stick one of the cards up above the others, tempting me to take it. The trick was, sometimes it would be the Old Maid sticking up, and you'd think, no, it can't be the Old Maid, too obvious. So you'd take it, and Grandma would chortle with glee. Another time, she'd stick a card up, and you wouldn't take it, remembering the last time. A torturous decision. This time it would be an innocent card, and the one you chose, just to the left of it, would be the Old Maid. Cackles. When I was a Grandma, I tried the same tricks, but my grandkids were smarter and less gullible  than I was as a child, so they soon figured it out; my tricks didn't work for long. Self-fulfilling prophecy, as a child and again as a Grandma, I was - and am - always the Old Maid.


Smiles. A fun memory from childhood for  Magaly's prompt at Real Toads: to write a prose poem.

11 comments:

  1. Curses, foiled again! LOL, darn kids today are too savvy. But as long as everyone is enjoying the game and spending time together, that's all that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sherry, this was such a delicious read. Seeing the child getting stuck with the Old Maid, and then becoming a grandma and getting stuck with the Old Made again... I swear, I would pay money to see eveyone's expression when this happens... especial that joy in the youngest's children's eyes.

    I love the closing most... because I can hear the mirth bubbling out of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this memory! My father did the same thing to me. I love that you play the game with your grandkids but...the little buggers catch on quickly don't they? such happiness you have in being agrandmother Sherry. I think you inherited that trait from your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have younger grandchildren who are very savvy at cards and catch on quickly to new games. It is good to see them participate in competitions such as this and even better when they accept losing with good grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story shared. I could see the card play happening. For me the thunderstorm made me sad. I loved thunderstorms and lightening, something we seldom experience here in the PacNW...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old maid! I had forgotten that game.. was there also one called Donkey?.. wow.. your memory really sparked my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember playing Old Maid with my grandmother! I love the chortles and cackles, Sherry, and the resolve of the Old Maid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brings back so many memories!๐Ÿ’ž What a truly delightful poem, Sherry! ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much fun is this?? I played cards with my grandmother, too. War and gin rummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had never heard of "Old Maid", but when I googled it I found that it was the same game as "Svarte Petter"... and it's still being said as an idiom to be stuck with that card... I don't remember playing that one any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, I SO remember that game. Love this funny memory.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.