Monday, October 23, 2023

Dear Creature

 


Nocturnal Visitations
by Forest Woodward

When the veil grows thin
between this world and the next,
I watch for you,
and listen for your howl.

You followed the path
where the Disappeared go,
and I could not follow.

The morning after you died,
just as they were
feeding you into the flames,
I felt your snout
on the edge of my bed.
You whuffed to wake me,
as you had every morning
of our life together.

And then you were gone,
into the ether,
to find your own way
along forest trails
in the sky.

You always went before me
on the path.
Wait for me.
I am not far
behind you.


for Desperate Poets where we are supposed to be Creature Seeking. But there has always only been one special creature for me, and I miss him still.


5 comments:

  1. Oh, Sherry! This is so poignant, touching. It breaks my heart though. Such love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry your pup was a wonderful creature and a friend. I am sure he waits beyond the veil to see you again. Just not yet, my friend you still have much to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your sorrow here. It is so sad when beloved animals leave our life. Suzanne - Wayfaring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how much time passes, these memories remain sharp and real, and the last lines are more comforting than not, I think. That third stanza made me tear up, Sherry. Such a strong presence and vital part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good old Pup. Your forever friend. I like to imagine the day that I see Sundance, Bosco and the gang again. I know that I will.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.