Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Geography of Hearts



He sits, peaceful, unhurried, humble, wise,
arranging his medicine on the prayer cloth.

Carefully, he places them: the rock, the antler,
the abalone shell, the sage, the eagle wing,
the tobacco, and the pipe.

We sit in a circle, silent.
Thoughts are suspended.
Waiting is what is happening.

Then, around the circle he walks,
holding the abalone shell, using the eagle wing
-the entire wing of an eagle -
to blow the sage-smoke over us.

Each in turn, bathes in the smoke,
lifting it to our faces,
over our heads, down our arms and legs,
over our shoulders.

The medicine man returns to his prayer cloth,
and sits.
Slowly, he fits the pipe together,
tamps the tobacco down,
lights the pipe and draws.
He points the stem of the pipe
and breathes a stream of smoke
Above - towards the sun,
Below - towards the earth,
in each of The Four Directions.

The pipe passes around the circle.
One by one, we breathe in
the sacred smoke and pass it on.

When it has passed full circle
he dismantles it, puts his medicine away:
the rock, the antler, the abalone shell, the sage,
the eagle wing, the tobacco, and the pipe.

Then he brings out the drum.
Its beat reverberates
through my innermost being.

I know in one of my many lifetimes,
I have been First Nations.
My soul is First Nations now -
it is many nations,
for in all my lifetimes
I have been many people,
and in this lifetime I understand
that geography of hearts.

I am connected forever
to that day, to that circle,
to that sacred place,
and to the larger circle
of humankind that we all are.

The medicine man is singing,
each word a prayer and a blessing
with which our hearts are filled.

When he brings out the feather, to speak,
he tells us: "Your greatest pain
is your strongest medicine."

He looks straight into my eyes.
He knows. I understand.

We are waiting
for the Rainbow Race to rise,
and usher in
a thousand years of peace.


17 comments:

  1. Oh. Oh! Yes, Yes. Sharing. Such Love and inner knowledge. I hold the entire vision in the Light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful description of a holy ceremony... I have been blessed with the blood of the Dakota Sioux my mother's gift...bkm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so fortunate, Barbara. My daughter has native blood also. I wish I did. I resonate with indigenous culture - all indigenous cultures - so much. I relate not at all to the materialistic white "culture" of "More".

      Delete
  3. Would it be so, and it will be worth the years of waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really luv the title of this poem and I often wonder how come the ancients survived smoking

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The medicine man is singing,each word a prayer and a blessing with which our hearts are filled.When he brings out the feather, to speak, he tells us: "Your greatest pain is your strongest medicine" .. this is so beautifully poignant and wise, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly beautiful write - I envy your experience. It must have been the most wonderful thing.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this magic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry, I can really feel your journey.

    He looks straight into my eyes.
    He knows. I understand.

    Yes, the medicine man knows much!

    Bright Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are many countries that have the opportunity to be the rainbow race, the US is one and Australia is another but always we have the naysayers that search for differences and reasons not to fully unite. One day perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love to participate in a ceremony of ancient wisdom... what a memorable experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The poem is almost like a vision. Our future world of well being, wisdom and peace. You write such healing words Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Sherry! This is a beautiful depiction of a sacred ceremony. Isn't it interesting, indeed how many cultures include tobacco in their cultural and traditional practices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sense of ceremony and belonging is very powerful here Sherry - may the wait be short

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sigh very spiritual and wise words almost magic and very sacred Love it

    ReplyDelete
  15. A sacred tradition typically performed to clear out negativity and create space for healing. I have read about this ritual... It must have been a wonderful experience for you!!
    So beautifully narrated, Sherry!Wow....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.