Sunday, May 21, 2017

Breaking News is Breaking My Tired Old Heart



In those days,
journalism was a sacred trust.
"Stop the presses!" the editor
would roar, flying out back
to the men laying upside down words
in the frames, row upon row.

When it printed,
we all sat around the news room,
reading, with inky fingers and
smiles of satisfaction:
another paper, done.
The news, then, was pretty:
a good orchard crop,
a Lady of the Lake crowned,
another summer Regatta.

Now, news is everywhere,
and is pretty much all appalling.
Journalists report what they hear said
with their own ears,
report what is being slid through Congress
by sleight of hand,
and it is all labeled fake news.
How convenient.

It's a "witch hunt",
yet the reporting is of words
from his own mouth,
abhorrent words.

"Walls work.
Just ask Israel," the big toad sneers.
Ask a Palestinian how well walls work.

I am living in a world
of nightmare news
and uncertain futures,
where all we once held dear
has been knocked on its ass.

In those days,
we believed truth was beauty
and beauty was truth.
And now our tired old hearts
grow weary,
weary at the daily news.


for Brendan's prompt at Real Toads: the news


14 comments:

  1. I am also weary, though my heart keeps trying love. And I love this poem which seems to encourage me to expand horizons still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm most tired by the constant stream and so little time to analyze and comprehend... too little time to see the pros and cons... just do it as if we even know in which direction where to run

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I hear the 'news' the more it gets old, and reminds me of all the bad news from the 60's--only a lot more seems at stake these days. The sense of being worn out with the weight of the stuff is very strong here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Stop the presses!"
    Thanks for taking me back there. Luv that especially in the cartoons

    Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that beginning image of the old press days. It is so nostalgic and sweet, and makes me wish it was all still like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who isn't weary to death of our manic news machine, out of control and no Stop The Presses button. I too loved the opening, that exhilaration of "another paper, done." Would, could that it in this 4D game of then news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It feels like a metaphor for the whole world. Everything seems to be rushing by too fast, no time to pause, no time to think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when we listen to the news to find out the price of coffee and cacao beans, or read the paper to see who got married or graduated... These days, it seems I watch the news (half terrified) to see who's dead... or to glare at the last bit of poison leaking out of the orange infection affecting the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really great!
    Want to have some fun? Listen to news in different states. Same news - so different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walls. I remember President Reagan's "Tear down that wall" speech well. I also remember him standing on the Rio Grand bridge at Del Rio and saying "Build a better fence." Both speeches were politically very popular.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Walls. I remember President Reagan's "Tear down that wall" speech well. I also remember him standing on the Rio Grand bridge at Del Rio and saying "Build a better fence." Both speeches were politically very popular.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you and the weariness here is so palpable.For me now I listen very rarely and read the news even less. My energies are focused on what I love to do. Write, play music and connect with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spot on Sherry, spot on.
    I do worry about Trump...(but not only Trump.)
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.