Friday, May 1, 2015

To Make A Long Poem Short



To make a long poem short
I might abort
a chicken egg
that came before the hen
and wound up on my pen.

I have been barking
at the wrong knee
like a bag upon the cat
let sleeping llamas cry
and drop a golden hammer
on my hat

burn the bridge
between two worlds
Elvis has left
the building flush
and all of the rabbits
are in my head -
they are definitely
not in the bush.

for Bjorn's prompt at dVerse: to play with idioms and metaphors. Judging from the responses, I concur we are all a little fried from our April efforts, LOL, and needed to get a little silly. What would be fun would be for all of us to appear at the same open mic and read them seriously, to see what the response would be. Hee hee.

19 comments:

  1. This prompt has been quite fun. You did an admirable job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Elvis reference :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever, Sherry. What a great opener:
    I might abort
    a chicken egg
    that came before the hen
    and wound up on my pen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun read! I like the playful rhythm. And I think that it is good that all the rabbits are in the head and not in the bush. :D
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is just splendid.. and yes April has been exhausting indeed.. we've gone quite far from the seriousness of the previous days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent fun Sherry and much wisdom re the llamas!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was fantastic :D
    Loved it..!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry-berry, I must not tarry in sending you kudos for the clever giggly take on Bjorn's sir Laughalot prompt. Those of you who wrote 20-30 poems in April deserve huge congrats--that is like 3 months work for most of us. by the by, I pretty sure I bark up the wrong knee on a regular basis; just ask my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some cleverly pleasing word play here


    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherry, this was so much fun! I laughed out loud about the open mic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your short poem is long on silly fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so entitled to be silly after all your serious poems of April. This is cute. I like the playfulness. Congrats to all who did the 30 poems!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A delight! You did well! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. love these, Sherry! My favourite is "burn the bridge between two worlds"

    ReplyDelete
  15. To play around with idioms will rekindle the love for language again. Good for a revisit!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.