Thursday, May 14, 2015

I Speak for the Bees!



The bluesman and the Queen Bee are
a-rockin' my soul
and my knees are kinda knockin'
'cause they're not too used to boppin'
since they got so old.

Now the Lorax takes the mike -
he has a Message for the World -
he speaks it like a rap
while we whirl and twirl:

"The bees are in peril! You must help them, please.
I can't get no more honey from my main squeeze.
I speak for the bees! I speak for the bees,
for the bees have no knees
and no reason to please."

Oh my soul, oh my soul,
the planet grows cold.
The times are a-changing.
Go Home or Go Bold.

There's a Queen Bee and a Lorax
singing songs in the night,
about the earth's sorry plight,
and it gives me a fright.

I speak for the bees! I speak for the bees!
I'll turn around twice
and be nice as you please
if you'll join me in trying
to save all the bees.

This sorry offering is for Marian's prompt at Real Toads: mix Taj Mahal's Queen Bee song with Dr Seuss.

I echo a sentence from Dr Seuss's book, The Lorax, with its environmental message: "I speak for the trees! I speak for the trees!" and it was all downhill after that!


17 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! We need something catchy like this to draw attention. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Sherry. Those bees really do need help. They are a dying breed.
    The Sierra Club wants me to be a paid member, I wish they could put this wonderful ditty in my ear.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my lord.. this sounds like rap music.. :D
    Well done Sherry this is awesome..!
    Lots of love
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an important message and you have conveyed it in such a creative way.

    Thanks, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go home or go bold. Ha. Yeah, we need that. Without the bees we have lost the flowers, we have lost our oxygen eventually. And we lose ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may not think you did a good job, but I think you did a great job. I loved reading this. Will do so for my grandkids! They'll like it too. Nice to defend the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think telling important things in a light-hearted way is how you really reach through with the message... love the beginning here..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw one in the hardware store, and told them to save him....but I don't know if they did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for highlighting an important issue with humor

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH!!!
    By far my favorite of the poems for this prompt.
    Absolute perfection, blues-ing and buzzing in my ears and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha. The bees need spokespersons. Thanks, Sherry! On train so brief. K.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PERFECT, perfect! Love it, and such a strong and important message, delivered with whimsy. I love this, Sherry! Shout it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sigh. What an apt poem. I heard yesterday that my state lost 60% of its hives last year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just watched a documentary about the bees, devastating. Its why we don't use any pesticides in our yard. I'll put up with the scorpions and spiders. Great take on the prompt Sherry, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny, but point taken.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bees... I work hard to create a garden that feeds and attracts the bees and butterflies. Lovely they are!

    ReplyDelete
  17. march against monsanto here on sunday. them and dow... what unspeakable atrocities they've committed ~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.