Saturday, September 20, 2014

Message to a Young Warrior Woman


I know the journey
you are making, for I, too, have walked
pain's pathway.
Know this: the route will make you strong.
As you grow, your warrior woman
will arise.
(She is waking now.)
Your warrior power has been dampened,
but not extinguished,
by those unable to see
who you are.
One day, little bird,
you will fly.

Right now you are at the end of the branch,
contemplating the sky,
wondering what soaring 
might feel like.

Gather the air under your wings, little bird,
and, when you feel ready, lift off,
trusting the sky
to carry you.

But always remember:
the longest journey that
we ever make
is the one between
our heads
   and our hearts.

A wise medicine man once said to me: "Your greatest pain is your strongest medicine". And he was right.

16 comments:

  1. I get such a sense of taking flight into the unknown world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think that the 'warrior woman' in each of us arises when it is the right time. Sometimes a person has to trust in order to soar, but the rewards are worth it indeed! I do like the medicine man's quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes to be aware of one's inner power...aroma arises when the incense stick is burnt..wise & inspiring lines...I specially like the close...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Sherry...i think all those little birds in the world appreciate the trust and hope and love that both the branches and the people who have flown away strong and bold before them pass on..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This touched on so many thoughts of how I feel, as my baby bird is flying. I am lost between my head and heart~ Beautiful, Sherry! The circle of life on tender branches~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an uplifting poem and I feel so inspired by it, to face the challenges of life and move ahead. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the strong message specially the ending phrase Sherry ~ I will bring your words with me today, thank you ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love the last stanza....it's so profound !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent advice for young women from a wise woman. I love the last thoughts about the mind and the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pain is a wisdom teacher. I guess that is why the elders are so wise, you can't get through this life without pain....it is meant for you, a perfect fit. Perhaps pain is an exploration of the heart?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has such a wonderful close, Sherry. I have never heard that before. Thanks. K.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right now you are at the end of the branch,
    contemplating the sky,
    wondering what soaring
    might feel like.

    Spectacular ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. the journey between head and heart...yeah...def. can be a long one... love that the warrior power was not extinguished...

    ReplyDelete
  14. "But always remember:
    the longest journey that
    we ever make
    is the one between
    our heads
    and our hearts."

    How true, it'd be so much easier if the two would agree. Love the title, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.