Thursday, May 8, 2014

Lace

wikipedia.org


The grand ladies wore bustles and lace,
white gloves and hats with draping veils.
And nobody thought of the small, strained eyes,
nimble fingers that made them. Lace tells no tales.

The drawing room tables are draped in lace,
gleaming with polish to a high shine,
by servants, all creeping about the place
with averted eyes, in the mansion so fine.

Behind lace curtains high society postures.
Only the staff know what really goes on.
Twitch the bed curtains and what a surprise!
The master and maid dont have a thread on!

This started off serious but in the last stanza, Kay took over my brain and I couldn't stop her. Hee hee. Posted for Susie's prompt at Real Toads: Lace.

18 comments:

  1. Lace tells no tales ~~~ are you certain ??? Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. … and I actually DID think "this sounds like Kay at the end!!! I adore the twist and turn of this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you and Kay ARE the two sides of one person! Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed a good chuckle, Sherry. A delightful poem. I am sure one could not imagine what went on behind the closed doors of those mansions......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your "Lace tells no tales" - completely opposite to my "Lace has tales to tell". What I love about these prompts is reading the different angles on the same subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That ending took me completely by surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the transition from serious to humor. It does sound like Kay was your muse..love it!! Thanks for writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG...lol! I love how you ended with bare threads~
    So fun, Sherry! I needed to laugh~
    YOU are a clever seamstress with words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that ending was a surprise,ha...ha... ~ So enjoyed this one Sherry ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Takes me straight to the late 1800's...Vision of The Age of Innocence.. Thank you for the visit Sherry...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherry,
    You naughty girl! Love the racey lacey poem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amusing, Sherry...You brought out two sides and crocheted them together nicely!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have it right, Sherry. Sometimes those who work for a living appreciate the other working who must endure

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Sorry but am on the road with iPad) but we are all similarly fitted at birth and under the sheets.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  15. p.s. I enjoyed rhyme and meter. Excellent all around.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  16. ha - thanks! I needed a burst of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the unexpected direction this took!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.