Monday, November 18, 2013

Doris Lessing


OMG.
I just read that you have died.
How can that be?

Only yesterday, 
I was a young, sad, 
hurt and hurting woman,
who read your books
to find inspiration and hope,
a blueprint
out of the labyrinth 
in  which I was entrapped,
onto the solitary pilgrimage
my soul needed
to undertake,
to be
all that I needed to be.

I did not find you until the '70's,
but devouring your words
showed me a direction
that my soul could take
out of bondage.

The chapter where the women danced
and the men adored them,
so foreign to my own
inadequate sense of being,
my own experience,
yet it gave me
a direction
in which to go.

And one day it happened:
I had finally become 
the woman dancing,
while the men drummed, and adored.

All of the heroines,
all of the oracles and spokeswomen,
all of the herstorians of our time
are aging, dying.


I, too, am aging, dying.

Writing furiously until the last moment,
to make up for all the years
I didnt have time, 
because everyone else's needs
came first.

Your death
is a passage
into that Otherworld
that I hope will be
all this world was not,
that I hope will be
the Divine Feminine.

13 comments:

  1. Keep writing furiously, Sherry!! It is YOUR time now. Doris Lessing was mortal. We all are. We all need to keep writing as long as we can. Her life (and death) is a lesson to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful poem, Sherry. I admire Doris Lessing hugely but it is also not so bad to put other people's needs first. So I tell myself! But there is good in all facets. I know I would like to write far more furiously now. Good luck! Take care. K. (Manicddaily).

    ReplyDelete
  3. as Mary said, we are mortal and our link is our love of words. we link each other for the now and unto the after

    mi amiga, Doris Lessing, will greet us in that Otherworld,

    nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, our nurturers are going to the Mothers. . .



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^= <3
    > < } } ( ° >
    > < 3 3 3 ( ' >

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully expressed, Sherry. You speak for many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely Sherry. your poem is a wonderful tribute. She would want you to write furiously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sad and yet beautiful! A wonderful tribute to a special lady whose voice nurtures others~ Bravo Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. heartfelt, Sherry ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is the legacy you leave...the kernels of wisdom we read that take seed in our hearts to be passed on...smiles....and nice nod to her as well....

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful tribute to a great woman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't think of a better tribute, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing tribute to an icon of her time.
    Thank you, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.