Saturday, July 10, 2010

LOVER OF THE SKY


2002

I am a lover of the blue sky,
perfect clouds
like a dream sail by;
of a green walk in the wild wood;
of trees dripping on me
where I stood;
of mist rising up
where the river bends;
of the small sweet song
of a striped-headed wren.
I am a lover of the burning flame
lit for world peace
in hearts the same.
I am a lover of the morning sun,
already radiant
the day begun.
I am a lover of the whale, leaping,
of the blue, blue hills
in the sunset sleeping.
I am a lover
of the eagle's cry,
who sweeps and soars
without a Why.
I am a lover
of life alone,
of the heart's peace
when it's at home.
I am a lover
of my old dog's smile,
of his warm brown eyes,
of his lack of guile.
I am a lover of the warm spring rain,
of the smell of earth stirring
to life again.
I am a lover of the ocean's roar,
of the sandy beach
stretching all before.
I am a lover of rock and log,
of driftwood shapes
looming through the fog.
I am a lover of clouds, of stars,
of the falling dark,
of soft guitars,
of the meadowlark,
of the summer's breeze,
of days of struggle,
days of ease,
of heartfelt love
gone away too soon,
of goodbyes under
a slice of moon.
I am a lover
of fresh-cut grass,
of children's laughter,
of dogs I pass,
of babies all
innocence and rapture,
of the bent and aged
who tremble after,
of the falling leaves,
of a job well done,
and I am a lover
of beasts that run,
of water that moves
and creates its own way,
of the journey made
and the price I pay.
I am a lover
of brand new books,
those journeys that
I never took.
I am a lover of music that sings,
songs of the heart,
the hope it brings,
and the flight of poems
for a brand new dawn
that knows this life
is Moving On.
Like the heron, stalk-still
at the water's edge,
makes a sudden leap -
I am the same.
Poised to dive
from a tilting ledge,
the horizon lit
with a golden flame,
I'm waiting
to hear
Someone
call my name.

2 comments:

  1. The sky is not always perfectly ultramarine, sherry blue; sometimes its a morbid grey and the cottonball clouds can sometimes turn seething, boiling, restless, unfriendly too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know. I love it in all its moods. When I lived at the beach, winter was my favorite time, for then the sea was wild and the skies changed dramatically by the minute. Absolutely wildly glorious! I like my nature untamed:) Thanks for reading, and commenting. I love it that someone in Calcutta is reading my poems.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.